Stones are used in the following civil engineering constructions:
- Stone masonry is used for the construction of foundations, walls, columns and arches.
- Stones are used for flooring.
- Stone slabs are used as damp proof courses, lintels and even as roofing materials.
- Stones with good appearance are used for the face works of buildings. Polished marbles and granite are commonly used for face works.
- Stones are used for paving of roads, footpaths and open spaces round the buildings.
- Stones are also used in the constructions of piers and abutments of bridges, dams and retaining walls.
- Crushed stones with graved are used to provide base course for roads. When mixed with tar they form finishing coat.
Crushed stones are used in the following works also:
- As a basic inert material in concrete.
- For making artificial stones and building blocks.
- As railway ballast.