- The building plan should be in a regular shape such as square or rectangular.
- No wall in a room should exceed 6.0m in length. Use pilasters or cross walls for longer walls. In hilly terrain, it should not exceed 3.5m in length.
- The height of each storey should be kept below 3.2m.
- Don’t use bricks of crushing strength less than 35kg/cm2 for single storeyed building and of 50kg/cm2 for 2-3 storeyed building. Only solid and sound bricks/ concrete blocks should be used.
- Provide a R.C.C band of 4 inch thickness throughout the run along wall at lintel level passing over doors and windows.
- The thickness of load bearing wall should be at least 200mm.
- The clear width between a door and nearest window should not be less than 600mm.
- Location of a door or window from edge of a wall shall be 600mm minimum.
One Comment on “Tips for Earthquake Resistant Building Design”