Stainless steel has also been used to overcome the corrosion problem. Chromium is the a major alloy in stainless steel and imparts the corrosion resistance property to steel. The-corrosion resistance property of steel can be increased by increasing the chromium content. Stainless steel can withstand chloride attacks. The advantages of using stainless steel rebars are the following:
- Stainless steel is environment friendly.
- It has good resistance against corrosion (no need of surface protection).
- It has good engineering properties.
- The cover of concrete can be reduced if stainless steel bars are used.
- It is easy to handle.
- It helps reduces maintenance.
- Stainless steel is recyclable.
- Its design, detailing and construction techniques are similar to that of ordinary steel bars.