The Grade of concrete construction is selected based on structural design requirements. Types of concrete mixes are
- Nominal mix
- Design mix.
- This concrete are those which are generally used for small scale construction and small residential buildings where concrete consumption is not high.
- Its takes care of factor of safety against various quality control problems generally occurring during concrete construction.
- This concrete are those for which mix proportions are obtained from various lab tests.
- Use of design mix concrete requires good quality control during material selection, mixing, transportation and placement of concrete.
- This concrete offers mix proportions based on locally available material and offers economy in construction if large scale concrete construction is carried out.
- Large concrete construction projects uses design mix concrete.
Selection of concrete grade
- Therefore, suitable grade of concrete can be selected based on structural requirements. Nominal mixes for grades of concrete such as M15, M20 and M25 are generally used for small scale construction.
- Large structures have high strength requirements, thus they go for higher grades of concrete such as M30 and above. The mix proportions of these concretes are based on mix design.
One Comment on “How to Select Suitable Concrete Grade for Construction”
Sorry but for M30 it can’t be 1:1:3,
Since proportioning for M25 is 1:1:2, for M30 proportioning of sand and aggregate cannot be more than that in M25.
Please check andake necessary correction.