A flat slab is a one-way or two-way system with thickenings in the slab at the columns and load bearing walls called ‘drop panels’.
- Simple formwork.
- No beams.
- Minimum structural depth.
- Doesn’t require shear reinforcement.
- Medium spans.
- Generally not suitable for supporting brittle (masonry) partitions.
- Drop panels may interfere with larger mechanical ducting.
- Vertical penetrations need to avoid area around columns.
- For reinforced flat slabs, deflection at the middle strip may be critical.