The following are some of the major advantages of using total station over the conventional surveying instruments:
1. Field work is carried out very fast.
2. Accuracy of measurement is high.
3. Manual errors involved in reading and recording are eliminated.
4. Calculation of coordinates is very fast and accurate. Even corrections for temperature and pressure are automatically made.
5. Computers can be employed for map making and plotting contour and cross-sections. Contour intervals and scales can be changed in no time.
However, surveyor should check the working condition of the instruments before using. For this standard points may be located near survey office and before taking out instrument for field work, its working is checked by observing those standard points from the specified instrument station.