- Since shape and size of bricks are uniform, it do not need skilled labour for the construction.
- Bricks are light in weight and hence handling them is easy.
- Bricks are easily available around cities and their transportation cost is less because their weight is less. Stones are to be brought from quarries which are located only at few places.
- It is possible to use all types of mortar in brick masonry. For unimportant buildings even mud mortar can be used.
- Thinner walls can be constructed with bricks but it is not so with stones.
- It is easy to form openings for doors and windows.
- Dead load of brick masonry is less.
- In brick masonry mortar joints are thin and hence construction cost is reduced considerably.
- Brick masonry has better fire and weather resistance compared to stone masonry.
- Strength of brick masonry is less than that of stone masonry.
- Durability of brick masonry is less.
- Brick masonry needs plastering and plastered surface needs colour washing. Stone masonry don’t need them and hence maintenance cost is more in brick masonry.
- Brick masonry absorbs water and there are possibility of dampness. There is no such problem in stone masonry.
- More architectural effects can be given in stone masonry compared to that in brick masonry.
- Stone masonry gives massive appearance and hence monumental buildings are built in stone masonry.
9 Comments on “Advantages and Disadvantages of Brick Masonry Over Stone Masonry”
I did like it when you said that bricks are a good option to use because they are easily available in cities and transporting them costs less because they weigh a lot less. If so, then I will recommend this to my parents for when they get a wall constructed around the property. I know that they are after cost-effectiveness, and this fits the description. Hopefully, I can get them to agree. Thanks!
If you can protect bricks from air conditions and calculate well, buildings with brick walls and domes last longer i think. Earthquakes don’t like heavy buildings.
As compared to stones bricks are more lighter in weight which makes them easier to handle, secondly bricks are more easily available around cities and their cost of transportation is also quite low due to their low eight, comparatively stones are brought from query which are usually located far away from the city and their weight a lot thereby leading towards high cost of transportation. Bricks can be used for constructing thinner walls, which is something that cannot be done using stones. Therefore, in order to select the best materials for your wall I would recommend to contact a professional brick masonry expert, as they will be able to guide you more appropriately.
its nice … thanks
Some advantages of brick masonry includes:
Bricks are light weight, and are easier to handle
Bricks are easily available and their costs of transportation is also quite less, comparatively stones have to be bought from queries which are located far away from the city
All types of mortar can be used for brick masonry which is certainly not the case when stones are being used
Thinner walls can be constructed using bricks, while this is something that can not be achieved via stones
Brick is also fire resistant, as they are more heatproof as compared to other building materials, it takes long period of time for the brick to burst into flames due to the fact that it is produced mostly from non-inflammable materials.
There are various advantages of brick walls, first it is extremely strong and durable. Since, brick is solid it is capable of eroding multiple blows and shots without faltering in the crush. Along, with that bricks do not imprint and even termites are not capable of eating heating mud. Moreover, brick walls helps in increasing the value of your home.
nice article on brick masonry…