- Since shape and size of bricks are uniform, it do not need skilled labour for the construction.
- Bricks are light in weight and hence handling them is easy.
- Bricks are easily available around cities and their transportation cost is less because their weight is less. Stones are to be brought from quarries which are located only at few places.
- It is possible to use all types of mortar in brick masonry. For unimportant buildings even mud mortar can be used.
- Thinner walls can be constructed with bricks but it is not so with stones.
- It is easy to form openings for doors and windows.
- Dead load of brick masonry is less.
- In brick masonry mortar joints are thin and hence construction cost is reduced considerably.
- Brick masonry has better fire and weather resistance compared to stone masonry.
- Strength of brick masonry is less than that of stone masonry.
- Durability of brick masonry is less.
- Brick masonry needs plastering and plastered surface needs colour washing. Stone masonry don’t need them and hence maintenance cost is more in brick masonry.
- Brick masonry absorbs water and there are possibility of dampness. There is no such problem in stone masonry.
- More architectural effects can be given in stone masonry compared to that in brick masonry.
- Stone masonry gives massive appearance and hence monumental buildings are built in stone masonry.