Advantages of timber formwork
- Easy handling because it’s light weight.
- Easy to disassemble.
- Damaged parts can be replaced with new one.
- Very flexible.
Disadvantages of timber formwork
- Can’t be used for long. Have limited re-use. Can only be re-used 5 or 6 times.
- If the timber is dry, it will absorb moisture from wet concrete which could weaken the resultant concrete member.
- Timber with high moisture content (more than 20 % moisture content), wet concrete will shrink & cup leading to open joints & leakage of grout.
Advantages of steel formwork
- Very strong and able to carry heavy load.
- Easy to be fixed.
- Uniform size and surface.
- Can be used for a very long time.
Disadvantages of steel formwork
- Limited size or shape.
- Excessive loss of heat.
- A very smooth surface will be produced which would give problems for finishing process.