Advantages of Monolithic Dome
Economy in construction
- Cost of a dome is less.
- Streamlined construction process and use of only four ingredients contribute to the domes economy.
- Require less maintenance.
- Ability to survive tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes.
- Provides fire protection.
Aesthetics and comfort
- Any structure appears bare and unattractive when it’s first built.
- But just as enhancement can soften and beautify straight lines and corners.
Disadvantages of Monolithic Dome
- Only specially trained construction crews.
- Using the modern techniques.
- Wasted space in narrow corners.
- Lack of seams.
- Different appearance of the domes decreases the appeal for their use as private residences and the strange appearance and design may run afoul of neighborhood building covenants.
- Depending on the situation a large variety of variations available from the standard circular shape can avoid some of these problems.
- Building permits may be difficult to obtain if local officials are not familiar with the monolithic dome.
- Resale of a monolithic dome home may be difficult because of its unconventional appearance.