Pile foundations are generally adopted in the following situations
- Pile foundations can be used in the construction of piers, docks or other marine structures as fender piles.
- Heavy and uniform load is coming to the soil from the structure.
- When the structure is situated on or near sea-shore or river bed and foundations are liable to be scoured due to the action of water.
- When timbering of the excavation trenches is not possible.
- Where raft or grillage foundations are either very costly or cannot be adopted due to local difficulties.
- When the underneath soil is waterlogged and compressive. Hard firm strata is situated at a deeper depth.
- When it is impossible to maintain the foundation trenches in dry condition by pumping due to heavy inflow of seepage or capillary water.
- The sub-soil water table is very high which can easily affect other foundations.
- Pile foundation can also be used as anchors.