It is the process of temporarily supporting a building, vessel, structure, or trench with shores (props) when in danger of collapse or during repairs or alterations. It may be vertical, angled, or horizontal.
Shoring is used in the following situations:
- The stability of a structure is endangered due to removal of a defective portion of the structure.
- The stability of a structure is endangered due to unequal settlement during construction itself or in long run. E.g.: When a wall cracks due to unequal settlement of foundation and cracked wall needs repairing.
- Certain alterations are to be done in present structure itself. E.g.: remodeling of walls, changing position of windows, when a wall shows sign of bulging out due to bad workman ship. Etc.
- Alterations are carried out in adjacent building for remodeling, strengthening of foundation, etc.
- It is used when an adjacent structure is to be dismantled.
- When a tunnel is being constructed, we use shoring to make sure that the opening of the tunnel is supported and protected from accidental collapse.