The Code IS456:2000 recommends the check for development length by following equation:
[(M1 / V) + l0 ] > Ld
If the check is not satisfied than following measure may be adopted for satisfying the check:
- By reducing the diameter of the main steel to have lesser value of Ld, but keeping the area of steel at the section unchanged.
- By increasing the value of l0 by providing extra length of the bar over the bend.
- By reducing the number of bend of bars.
Checking for development length is essential at the following sections:
- At simple supports.
- At cantilever supports.
- At points of contraflexure.
- At points of bar cut off.
- In beams of very short spans.
- For stirrups and transverse ties.