Specifications for brick masonry in cement mortar are
- The bricks shall not absorb the water more than one sixth of the weight of the brick.
- The bricks should be free from flaws, cracks and lumps of any kind.
- The bricks shall be of first class, regular in shape, size and colour.
- The brickwork shall be kept wet for at least 10 days.
- The bricks laid truly horizontal in course with frogs upwards.
- Bricks before laying shall be thoroughly soaked in water.
- The brickwork shall be raised 1m in height at a strength all-round the building.
- Shall have minimum crushing strength 10.5N/mm2.
- The sand used shall be medium coarse, clean, sharp, free from clay, mica and other organic matter.
- The cement used shall satisfy the requirement of Bureau of Indian Standard.
- The mortar is designated in specified proportion of cement and sand. The materials are weighed or measured and mixed on watertight platform after allowing bulkage of sand.
- Only fresh mortar within half hour for cement mortar, the time of adding water shall be used.
- During rains, no brickwork is carried out when special arrangements are made.