Purpose of BOQ
- For standardizing the tendering process.
- For providing a clear and precise method to value the project.
- For enabling consultants to analyze prices of various individual items and overall costs.
- For assisting quantity surveyor in verifying that individual contractors have submitted genuine tenders compliant with tender information.
Importance of BOQ
BOQ shall be used in every phase (pre-contract & post-contract) of the project but the need for BOQ differs based on different contract agreements & projects. The major usages are listed below.
- It provides a basic idea of the project by giving the quantities to tenderers.
- It defines the extent of the work. (But it should be identified in line with drawings & specifications as well).
- It gives an estimated or anticipated contract sum. (very important to client)
- It provides a basis for the valuation of variation. (Variation is to be discussed in detail).