The properties of steel required for engineering design may be classified as
- physical properties
- mechanical properties
Physical properties: Irrespective of its grade physical properties of steel may be taken as given below
- Unit mass of steel = 7850 kg/m^3
- Modulus of elasticity, E = 2.0 x 10^5 N/mm^2
- Poisson ratio = 0.3
- Modulus of rigidity G = 0.769 x 10^5 N/mm^2
- Coefficient of thermal expansion = 12 x 10^-6 per degree Celsius.
- Yield stress fy.
- The tensile or ultimate stress fu.
- The maximum percentage elongation on a standard gauge length
- Notch toughness.