Nanotechnology is one of the most active research areas which has wide applications in almost all the fields. As concrete is most usable material in construction industry it’s been required to improve its quality. Improving concrete properties by addition of nano particles have shown significant improvement than conventional concrete.
Why nanotechnology for concrete?
- Improves the materials’ bulk properties.
- Ability to control or manipulate materials at the atomic scale.
- To obtain thinner final products and faster setting time.
- Cost effectiveness.
- Lowered levels of environmental contamination.
What is nano concrete?
A concrete made with portland cement particles that are less than 500nm as a cementing agent.
Currently cement particle sizes range from a few nano-meters to a maximum of about 100 micro meters.
- Carbon Nanotubes.
Benefits of Nano Concrete
- Cessation of contamination caused by micro silica solid particles.
- Lower cost per building site.
- Concrete with high initial and final compressive and tensile strengths.
- Concrete with good workability.
- Cessation of super plasticizing utilization.
- Cessation of silicosis risk.