Steel structure is a structure which is made from the organized combination of custom-designed structural steel members to meet architecture and engineering requirements of users. Steel structure involves sub-structure or members in a building made from structural steel.
Various shapes of structural steel
- Hollow structural
- Angle: L-shaped cross section
- Structural Channels: C-beam or C-shaped cross section
- T-shaped cross section
- Rail Profile: Strap rail, Flanged rail, Baulk rail, Barlow rail, Flat bottomed rail, Double-headed rail, Bullhead rail, Tangential turnouts, Grooved rail
- Bar: a piece of metal, rectangular cross-sectioned and long, but not so wide so as to be called a sheet.
- Open web joists
Above mentioned shapes are used while constructing steel structures.
Main structural types
- Truss structures
- Frame structures
- Grids structures
- Prestressed structures
- Beam bridge
- Truss bridge
- Arch bridge
- Cable-stayed bridge
- Suspension bridge
Advantages of steel structure
- Cost savings
- Quick erection
- Health and Safety
Disadvantages of steel structure
- Maintenance cost of a steel structure is very high.
- Steel has very small resistance against fire as compared to concrete.
- Steel cannot be mold in any direction you want.
- steel loses its ductility property, than chances of brittle fractures increase.