The effective span of the beams are taken as follows:
a) Simply Supported Beam
The effective span of a simply supported beam or slab is taken as least of the following:
- Clear span plus the effective depth of beam or slab.
- Centre to centre distance between supports.
b) Continuous Beam
In case of continuous beam or slab if the width of the supports is less than 1/12 of the clear span, the effective span is taken as in (a). If the width of the support is greater than 1/12 of the clear span or 600mm whichever is less, the effective span is taken as:
- For the end span with one end fixed and the other continuous or for intermediate spans, the effective span shall be the clear span between the supports.
- For end span with one end free and other continuous, the effective span shall be equal to the clear span plus half the effective depth of the beam or slab or clear span plus half the width of discontinuous support whichever is less.
c) Cantilever Beam
The effective span of the cantilever beam or slab is taken as:
- Length of overhang plus half the effective depth.
- Except where it forms the end of a continuous beam where the length up to the centre of support is taken.