A damp Proof course prevents the transfer of moisture from the ground into the building. The damp proof course involves the use of a plastic (non-permeable) membrane.
Sources of Dampness
- Geological Causes
- Rain penetration.
- Ground moisture rise.
- Atmosphere moisture.
- Drainage of site.
- Orientation of Building.
- Structural Causes
- Water introduced in structure during construction.
- Defective construction.
Effects of Dampness
- Corrosion of metals used in construction.
- Plasters get crumbled and softened.
- Floor, coverings loose adhesion with the floor.
- Paints get blistered and bleached.
- All electrical installations gets deteriorated.
- Timber, when come in content with damp gets rotten.
- Causes unhygienic conditions for the occupants of building
Methods of Damp Proofing
- Membrane Damp Proofing.
- Integral Damp Proofing.
- Surface Treatment.
- Cavity Wall Construction.