It is a small concrete step used at the bottom of columns or walls to make sure that correct coordinates of columns or walls are maintained between floor slabs.
- Maintains column and wall dimension between slabs.
- Prevent the movement of longitudinal reinforcement of columns.
- Helps the maintaining of vertical alignment of column.
- Simplify the installation of column formworks, so it enhances quality speed of construction.
- It ensure the provision of designated column concrete cover.
- The most outstanding disadvantage of kicker is the possible formation of joints at the bottom of columns or walls. That is why it is sometimes eliminated, and acceptable techniques are used to install column and wall shuttering. But the risk of errors is increased if kickers are not used.