Skip to content
- Since shape and size of bricks are uniform, it do not need skilled labour for the construction.
- Bricks are light in weight and hence handling them is easy.
- Bricks are easily available around cities and their transportation cost is less because their weight is less. Stones are to be brought from quarries which are located only a few places.
- It is possible to use all types of mortar in brick masonry. For unimportant buildings even mud mortar can be used.
- Thinner walls can be constructed with bricks but it is not so with stones.
- It is easy to form openings for doors and windows.
- Dead load of brick masonry is less.
- In brick masonry mortar joints are thin and hence construction cost is reduced considerably.
- Brick masonry has better fire and weather resistance compared to stone masonry.
- Strength of brick masonry is less than that of stone masonry.
- Durability of brick masonry is less.
- Brick masonry needs plastering and plastered surface needs colour washing. Stone masonry don’t need them and hence maintenance cost is more in brick masonry.
- Brick masonry absorbs water and there are possibility of dampness. There is no such problem in stone masonry.
- More architectural effects can be given in stone masonry compared to that in brick masonry.
- Stone masonry gives massive appearance and hence monumental buildings are built in stone masonry.